A new breed of CDN is needed for telcos to fully monetize 5G and to support the enhanced services and applications that separate the 5G era from the 4G world. Without this, 5G is in danger of stalling.
Streaming video exemplifies the dangers and the opportunities ahead. Without a 5G-ready CDN it will disappoint, but with one it becomes the killer app for the early 5G years.
This Vision Paper discusses:
• The growth path for 5G
• Why 5G requires a network transformation that goes beyond the radio access network
• The value of virtualization in 5G content delivery
• How the CDN edge is becoming more localized
• Why video is the killer app for the early 5G era
• How telcos can monetize their own 5G CDN