We’ve certainly heard the chorus of voices discussing APIs and API management of late. We are convinced, though, that we are singing a solo with our focus on the areas that we think are most important in API management: performance, scalability and stability. These are all crucial elements for implementing a successful API-first approach and API strategy, not to mention critical for the proliferation and maturation of the world of mobile apps and the internet of things (IoT). As essential as performance is, it has not been a priority in developing API management solutions - but failure to perform will not only be a showstopper but may have significant effects on the bottom line.
Our CTO, Per Buer, sat down to discuss the history of the Varnish API Engine and the need for performance at scale. Be sure to take a look.
Today we are launching our performance-driven Varnish API Engine. We’ve developed the engine to be able to easily handle current API volumes common to the mobile app landscape and scale to manage the exponential growth in high-traffic, high-volume, dynamic content of IoT and CDN web applications. With Varnish API Engine 2.0, you’re in the driver’s seat, powered by a high-performance engine. To read more about how Varnish API Engine performs, take a look at our blog post about stress testing Varnish API Engine under different conditions.
Some of what Varnish API Engine 2.0 offers:
- Built to deliver a competitive edge with regard to speed, scalability and stability: Able to handle 23,000 API calls/second (a number that’s always growing)
- SSL/TLS support for secure, encrypted communication on both server and client ends
- Caching for performance enhancement
- Granular controls for authentication, metering, throttling and authorization, including ability to create user groups and define access roles to better monetize and safeguard access to data and services
- Continuous improvement to UI
You can find out everything you need to know about the Varnish API Engine as a comprehensive API management solution by checking out our new white paper on the API management landscape and Varnish API Engine.
We’d also like to invite you to sign up for our November 10th webinar on API management and how Varnish API Engine addresses performance challenges and ensures scalability for your API strategy.
Join us November 10th: RedMonk’s James Governor discusses the changing face of API management with our CTO, Per Buer.
Sign up for the webinar.
Some topics we’ll cover in the webinar:
- The changing face of API management
- What API management is and what should it be
- Trends in API management and IoT (we’ll discuss this in more concrete terms with examples from industries at the forefront of API use)
- Why is performance important? Is there a blind spot in the industry when it comes to performance?
- How does Varnish API Engine solve the performance challenge?